Housing Systems: Combating poverty and sustaining tenancies.
Housing Costs: Supported Housing


  • Universal Credit claimants deemed to be living in 'specified accommodation' or 'temporary accommodation'- as defined by the UC Regulations - will continue to receive help with their housing costs through Housing Benefit even though they claim Universal Credit
  • Universal Credit acts as a 'passport' to maximum Housing Benefit - even if the UC claimant's income is quite high. More here.
  • Not all supported housing will fall under these definitions, so many supported housing claimants will have their rent supported by Universal Credit.
  • For those receiving help with their rent through UC, DWP Guidance lists Intensive Housing Management (IHM) charges as ineligible for Universal Credit.
  • The majority of Universal Credit claimants living in sheltered housing will not be classed as living in 'specified accommodation' and, due to the differences between the rules, may find that they have a higher ineligible service charge under UC than they would have done under HB.

Click on the links below for more information.

Specified Accommodation

What is it? Having problems getting the HB Office to accept claimant living in it?

Temporary Accommodation

Special rules for those living in temporary accommodation that is not 'specified' accommodation.

IHM Charges

Intensive Housing Management charge included in the claimant's rent?

Sheltered Housing

How does a UC claimant living in sheltered housing get their rent covered - UC or HB?

Supported Housing Review

How will rent will be funded in the future?

In Rent Arrears?

How can a provider prevent / collect rent arrears?