Housing Systems: Combating poverty and sustaining tenancies.
Discretionary Housing Payments


  • Discretionary Housing Payments (DHPs) are payments made to help people who get some Housing Benefit or Universal Credit that includes a housing element, who need extra help to pay their rent.
  • DHPs are not payments of benefit. They are freestanding payments to be made at the discretion of the Local Authority, subject to an annual cash limit, where the claimant ‘appears to (the) authority to require some further financial assistance….in order to meet housing costs’.
  • They are governed by The Discretionary Financial Assistance Regulations
  • They can be paid as on-going payments or as a lump sum eg to clear arrears.



Who can claim and how?

How Much

How much can someone get?


How are they paid?

Changes in Circs

What if the claimant has a change in circumstances?


"Can the LA recover a DHP overpayment and how?


How the LA makes a decision about who can have a DHP.


How to challenge a decision not to award a DHP.


How much is in the DHP pot?

Ooops – not logged in?
Looks like you need to log in.
(If you’ve forgotten your login please email us at advice@ucnotes.co.uk)

Just visiting?
If you’d like to see the information on this page, and discover all the other useful tools we offer, you’ll need to be registered member.

If you’d like a free, no obligation 2 week trial just email us - advice@ucnotes.co.uk.

Find out more about the trial and services we offer here.

We’d love to hear from you.