To be able to make a new claim for HB, the claimant must:
- Be Pension Credit age or living in 'specified' or 'temporary' accommodation*,
- Be paying 'rent' - or something that counts as rent,
- Be able to prove their ID,
- Have a National Insurance number,
- Be liable for rent
- Be living in the property,
- Not be excluded from claiming
- Not be someone who has to claim UC instead, and
- Have a low enough income.
Click on the icons below or the links above to find out more.
*NOTE: Many people are not able to make a new
claim Housing Benefit and need to make a claim for Universal Credit instead - click here
for more details.
But some people are told they have to claim UC when they don't need to! Click here