- Claimants living in various types of supported housing can receive help with their rent and service charges through Housing Benefit (and Supporting People Subsidy) - including some tenants who are claiming Universal Credit: click here.
- Special rules exist for those claimants classed as living in: 'exempt accommodation', 'specified accommodation', and 'hostels'.
- Rents in supported housing tend to be higher than in general let properties and a HB Office can decide to restrict the rent - although there are protective rules for claimants living in 'exempt accommodation'.
- Service charges can be an issue - the HB Office can deem them ineligible or excessive - and where an Intensive Housing Management charge is made you will find that some HB Offices will cover it whilst others may not.
- The government plans to change how rent is funded in many types of supported housing in the future.
Click on the links below for more information.