New claims for HB can only be made by claimants who:
- Are paying 'rent' - or something that counts as rent, and
- Are able to prove their ID, and
- Have (or have applied for) a National Insurance number, and
- Are liable for rent (including those who are treated as liable), and
- Are living in the property (some temporary absences allowed), and
- Are not excluded from claiming (eg some students, people from abroad), and
- Have a low enough income.
Click on the icons below or the links above to find out more.
NOTE: Many working age people are not able to make a new
claim Housing Benefit and need to make a claim for Universal Credit instead - click here
for more details.
But some people are told they have to claim UC when they don't need to! Click here