A Child Element is included in a claimant's maximum Universal Credit when their entitlement to UC is assessed for each child under 16 or qualifying young person(see below) :
- for whom the claimant (or claimants if a couple) is responsible, and
- who normally lives with them, and
- for whom they are entitled to a Child Element- ie where entitlement is not limited by the two child limit.
How Much is the Child Element?
The amount included in the claimant's Universal Credit assessment where they are responsible for a child / young person is, on 2023/24 rates:
Protected first child^
^The higher 'first' Child Element will not be given to claimants whose eldest child in their UC award is born on or after 6th April 2017.
A 'child' is a child under 16.
'Qualifying Young Person'
A 'qualifying young person' is a young person:
- Up to the 1st September following their 16th birthday or
- Up to the 1st September following their 19th birthday, as long as they have enrolled on or been accepted for full time (12 hours or more a week), non-advanced education or approved training*, and - if they are 19 - they started or enrolled on the course/training before their 19th birthday.