Housing Systems: Combating poverty and sustaining tenancies.
Who can claim


  • Universal Credit is replacing Income-Related ESA. This means that it is no longer possible for most people to make a new claim for Income-Related ESA (with the exception of claimants with 3 or more children who make their claim before 1.2.19 and claimants who are subject to the Severe Disability Premium ’gateway condition’ from 16.1.19 onwards).
  • Contributory ESA is not being replaced by Universal Credit. It is still possible to make a claim for Contributory ESA. The claimant might need to claim Universal Credit too.


Click on the icons below for details of the various rules on who can claim ESA.


Click here to find out the age rules.


There are two different types of ESA, find out who can claim them here.

Residence and Presence

Has the claimant been in GB long enough to pass this test?

Limited Capability

ESA is for those who have a 'limited capability for work'. More information here.

What about Universal Credit?

How are ESA claimants be affected by the introduction of Universal Credit?

Overlapping Benefits

ESA claimants cannot claim certain other benefits at the same time - find out here.