- Some claimants are worse off on UC - those claimants who are 'Manage Migrated' on to Universal Credit from the legacy benefit system will normally be entitled to 'transitional protection'.
This means that they will - initially at least - be no worse off when they transfer across onto UC.
- This 'managed migration' started as a pilot in July 2019 on a small scale - the DWP only expect to manage-migrate 10,000 legacy benefit claimants in the first year of managed migration.
- There are time limited protections for those Tax Credit claimants with over £16,000 in savings/capital, some protections for those self-employed claimants affected by the Minimum Income Floor, and for those students able to claim legacy benefits but not UC.
- But there is no transitional protection against the Benefit Cap,
- Transitional protection can end due to certain changes in circumstances.
- And it erodes over time as the general level of benefits increase.
Please note the details on these pages are based on how the Managed Migration works during the 'test and learn' pilot period therefore the final Regulations that are implemented may be very different.