Housing Systems: Combating poverty and sustaining tenancies.
Claims: Which mixed age couples have to claim UC?

Until the rules change ie on 15th May 2019, no 'mixed age' couples have to claim Universal Credit.

Someone of Pension Credit age can make a new claim for Pension Credit and/or Housing Benefit - even where they have a partner of working age.

Although many 'mixed age' couples are being wrongly told that they have to claim Universal Credit.

At the moment any 'mixed age' couple should not be refused Pension Credit or Housing Benefit - if they are being told they cannot claim then they should seek advice immediately.

If a mixed age couple has been told to claim UC, then they should check to see if this is their best option. Most 'mixed age' couples are better off on the legacy benefit system, but some can be better off on UC.

If a mixed age couple is on Universal Credit they can, if they wish, end their UC claim and claim Pension Credit and Housing Benefit instead - click here.

Find out more about which 'mixed age' couples are better off / worse off on Universal Credit here.

Ooops – not logged in?
Looks like you need to log in.
(If you’ve forgotten your login please email us at info@housingsystems.co.uk)

Just visiting?
If you’d like to see the information on this page, and discover all the other useful tools we offer, you’ll need to be registered member.

If you’d like a free, no obligation 2 week trial just email us - info@housingsystems.co.uk.

Find out more about the trial and services we offer here.

We’d love to hear from you.







Click here to see the leaflet.

Useful Tools