Housing Systems: Combating poverty and sustaining tenancies.
Non EEA Nationals: Who Can Claim?

The following non-EEA nationals can usually claim* Housing Benefit - those with:

  • Indefinite Leave to remain ("Settled status")
  • Refugee status,
  • Discretionary leave (also known as Exceptional leave to remain)
  • Humanitarian Protection,
  • Certain evacuees, or
  • Indefinite Leave through the Gateway Protection Programme or ILR Families Project.
  • A Right of Abode.
  • Some people fleeing domestic violence.
  • Someone who counts as a family member of an EEA National.

NOTE: new claims for HB can only be made by claimants who:

Click on the links below for more information.

Indefinite Leave to Remain

 Find out who might have this settled status 

Refugee Status

 Have similar rights to British Citizens

Other Types of leave

 Check the implications for Housing Benefit

Right of Abode

 Implications for Commonwealth residents 

Domestic Violence

 When are the right of victims of DV protected?

Family Member of EEA

 Discover who qualifies as a family member






Useful Tools