Housing Systems: Combating poverty and sustaining tenancies.
Mixed age couples - What if younger member can't claim UC?
There will be some couples where one member is ineligible for UC and so normally their partner is able to claim UC as a single person. This includes couples where one:

  • Is under 18 (with some exceptions)

  • Fails the Habitual Residence Test

  • A person subject to immigration control

  • Is a 'prisoner' (this includes those held on remand)

  • Is absent from the UK for more than a month (can be longer in certain circumstances.

Where this is a mixed age couples and it is the younger member that is ineligible for UC, then their partner is also ineligible as they are classed as a single person and are Pension Credit age.

But under the HB rules they would be treated as a couple - and as a mixed age couple would not able to make a new claim for Housing Benefit.

BUT the rules were amended in May 2019 to allow the pension credit age member to make a new claim for HB as a single person under the pension credit age Regulations until the reason they are no longer able to apply for UC applies.


Ooops – not logged in?
Looks like you need to log in.
(If you’ve forgotten your login please email us at info@housingsystems.co.uk)

Just visiting?
If you’d like to see the information on this page, and discover all the other useful tools we offer, you’ll need to be registered member.

If you’d like a free, no obligation 2 week trial just email us - info@housingsystems.co.uk.

Find out more about the trial and services we offer here.

We’d love to hear from you.






Click here to see the leaflet.

Click here
to see the Flowchart


Find out more....

What if someone cant wait for their first payment of UC?

Related Links

 APA Managed Payments
Couple splits
How Much?

Useful Tools