The Social Security (Coronavirus) (Further Measures) Regulations 2020 took effect from 30th March 2020 and replaced the previous Minimum Income Floor measures announced.
They give the DWP the discretion to:
- Treat a claimant's Minimum Income Floor level as if it was a lower level - including zero
- Delay making a decision on whether a claimant is in gainful self-employment
- Treat a claimant who is in gainful self-employment as not being
- Extend a claimant's start-up period for as long as they consider appropriate, or
- Exempt a claimant from any work search requirement or a work availability requirement who would normally fall in the 'all work-related requirements' conditionality group
This measure will be in place until the end of July 2021. (Originally, the intention was that it would be in place until 12th November 2020).
This means that regardless of how long a self-employed person has been trading, their UC award can be based on their actual takings during this period (if they have any).
From 1st August 2021 work coaches will have the discretion to continue to suspend the MIF for those self-employed workers whose earning continue to be affected by COVID restrictions.