Housing Benefit is a means-tested benefit to help people pay their rent.
Housing Benefit is being replaced by Universal Credit for claimants of working age.
New claims for HB can therefore only be made by claimants who:
- Are single and Pension Credit age, or (couples, both Pension Credit age,)* or
- Fail the Severe Disability Premium Gateway, or
- Are living in 'specified accommodation', or
- Are living in 'temporary accommodation' .
*"Some mixed age couples are protected.
- Are liable for and paying 'rent' - or something that counts as rent,
- Are able to prove their ID,
- Have a National Insurance number,
- Are living in the property (some absences are allowed),
- Are not excluded from claiming (eg some students, people with no recourse to public funds)
- Have a low enough income.