Essential Welfare Reform: What you need to know - outline
This course brings participants up to date with the main changes and enables them to advise their residents on the best way of avoiding pitfalls and problems, to ensure they are getting all the benefits that they are entitled to.
By the end of the session delegates will:
- Be able to minimise the impact of the change to the HB backdating rules last year by considering whether any other options are available,
- Understand the new exclusions from the Benefit Cap and reviewed how the Cap works,
- Have considered the recent Bedroom Tax Supreme Court decision and what this may mean,
- Understand the proposed 'two child limit' who will be affected, when and how,
- Have investigated the removal of the WRAG component from ESA / UC / HB and considered how to minimise the impact,
- Looked at the proposed LHA Cap for social housing and be able to work out who will be affected, how and when,
- Looked at some Universal Credit 'Hot Topics'
- Discussed the UC digital Service, the differences and challenges
- Reviewed the other April 2017 changes.
For a printable version of the outline please Click here
Plan of day
9.30am Introductions and Expectations
9.40am Housing Benefit Changes
Backdating - the alternatives?
Benefit Cap - the new rules
Bedroom Tax Update
11.15am Proposed LHA Cap
What's being proposed and when
Whose affected / whose excluded
Impact on supported housing
What can we do now?
1.30pm Becoming too sick to work
Removal of WRAG from ESA - who and when
The impact on HB?
How it works under Universal Credit
2.15pm Two Child Limit
What's being proposed?
Who will it affect and how?
2.45pm Universal Credit 'Hot Topics'
Case studies highlighting the current complex areas / areas where things are going wrong
3.30pm Universal Credit Digital Service
Brief look at differences and challenges
4.00pm Other Changes
Housing Costs for 18-21 year olds
Conditionality for parent of child 3-4
Changes to Bereavement Benefits