Essential Welfare Reform: What you need to know - outline
This course brings participants up to date with the main changes and enables them to advise their residents on the best way of avoiding pitfalls and problems, to ensure they are getting all the benefits that they are entitled to.
By the end of the session delegates will:
- Be able to minimise the impact of the change to the HB backdating rules and loss of family premium last year by considering whether any other options are available,
- Have considered the changes to the Bedroom Tax rules from April and who can have an extra bedroom,Understand the proposed 'two child limit' who will be affected, when and how,
- Understand the new exclusions from the Benefit Cap and reviewed how the Cap works,
- Understand the two child limit - who is affected and when - and how in interacts with the Benefit Cap,
- Have investigated the removal of the WRAG component from ESA / UC / HB and considered how to minimise the impact,
- Have an understanding of which 18-21 year olds are excluded from help with Housing Costs from April 2017,
- Discussed the UC Digital Service, the differences and challenges
- Looked at the proposed LHA Cap for social housing and be able to work out who will be affected, how and when,
- Reviewed the other 2017 changes.
Plan of day
9.35am Housing Benefit Changes
Backdating - the alternatives? Safeguarding the Family Premium.
Benefit Cap - quick review the new rules/limits
Bedroom Tax - which couples/families can get an extra bedroom due to disability?
11.00am Two Child Limit
Who does it affect and how?
Interaction with the Benefit Cap
Opportunity to escape the UC?
12.00pm Changes to Disability Benefits
ESA - Removal of WRAC
PIP - Recent changes
1.15pm Universal Credit Review
What, who when? Waiting days, Advance Payments, Twice Monthly Payments
Understanding Monthly Assessment Periods
Keeping a claim going
Becoming too sick to work / look for work
3.00pm Universal Credit - Going Digital
Who will have to claim
Housing Costs for young people
Key challenges/differences: APAs, explicit consent
4.00pm Other Changes
Future of HB
Support for Mortgage Interest