One of the basic qualifying conditions for Housing Benefit is that the claimant has to occupy the home for which they are claiming HB.
But HB can continue for certain temporary absences - if those absences are less than:
- 4 weeks for 'going abroad',
- 13 weeks - for the majority of absences, and
A more generous 52 week rule applies to:
- Claimants in hospital or receiving medically approved care, or
- Claimants caring for others, where medically approved, or
- Claimants fleeing violence, or
- Claimants on remand before they have been sentenced, or
- Claimants on certain approved training courses, or
- A few other very rare specific circumstances.
Click on the links below for more information.