To be able to make a claim for HB, the claimant must:
- be paying 'rent' - or something that counts as rent,
- be able to prove their ID,
- have a National Insurance number,
- be liable for rent
- be living in the property,
- not be excluded from claiming
- not be someone who has to claim UC instead, and
- have a low enough income.
Click on the icons below or the links above to find out more.
NOTE: Many people are not able to make a new claim Housing Benefit and need to make a claim for Universal Credit instead - click here for more details.
But some people are told they have to claim UC when they don't need to! Click here.